Thursday, October 28, 2010

DJ Mighty Mi Interview

I just got a chance to chat with DJ Mighty Mi, and he seems like a really chill, down to earth, humble dude. Mighty Mi has been in the game for a while now, and is getting more and more the respect he deserves. He's got a ton off awesome remixes and edits out on Crooklyn Clan (with one freebie at the bottom with my purchase). Recently, he moved to Las Vegas from a lifetime on the East Coast. Mighty Mi is now the resident DJ and music director at Blush Nightclub in the Wynn Hotel. He even writes music for t.v. and film. Not only is he humble, but extremely talented as well. Check out this interview with DJ Mighty Mi and grab the edit at the bottom when your done! Enjoy!


Spartytunes: What advice do you guys have for young and aspiring artists?

DJ Mighty Mi: You have to figure out from the beginning how you can make your sound different. These days with so much music coming out, if your stuff doesn't stand out, it's not going to get saved in DJ's computers.

Spartytunes: How did you get started dj'ing?

DJ Mighty Mi: I grew up in Philadelphia in the mid to late 80's. At that time, Philly was the center of the world for DJ's. You had Jazzy Jeff, Cash Money, DJ Miz, Tat Money, and an abundance of other dope dj's in the local scene. I think the first time you see the two technics and the Gemini 1200 set up it either captivated you, or it doesn't. Fortunately, it did for me. So, I saved up for about a year and bought my first set up.

Spartytunes: What sparked the move from NYC to Las Vegas?

DJ Mighty Mi: I had taken 5 years off from dj'ing when I was running my label Eastern Conference and traveling with my group The High & Mighty. When illegal downloading started effecting our profit margins, we were forced to move on from the recording side of things. At that time, Serato came out, and I had started hanging out with my childhood friend DJ AM a lot again. The lure of not having to carry crates to gigs was so exciting to me. I dj'ed for about a year in NYC and then got the job offer in Vegas through people I had gone to college with in Boston. The idea of making 3 to 4 times what I was making in NYC a night was too good to turn down.

Spartytunes: What was/is your favorite NYC club to play at and what is your favorite Vegas club to play at?

DJ Mighty Mi: My favorite NYC club would have to be Life. To me, it was the last great downtown club in NYC. I used to do Tuesdays and Saturdays, and Mark Ronson would do Fridays. Anyone from Stevie Wonder to Mariah Carrey would be there on the regular. A mixed crowd ready to party in the pre-bottle service era. In Vegas, Surrender/Encore Beach Club has been my favorite.

Spartytunes: What DJ's do you look upto and,or like playing with/before/after/alongside?

DJ Mighty Mi: I would say Stretch Armstrong, DJ Jules, and Clark Kent influenced me the most coming up in the 90's in NYC. Local guys in Vegas that I think really do their thing would be DJ Five.

Spartytunes: What's next on the agenda? Is there anything you would like to still accomplish?

DJ Mighty Mi: I've still been trying to produce a little. I just did a song with Greg Nice (of Nice & Smooth) all about Vegas (lol), and still am working with Princess Superstar. I still do a gang of edits that I sell weekly on Crooklyn Clan.
 
Spartytunes: Anything else you would like to add?
 
DJ Mighty Mi: When in Vegas, come check me out at Blush on Tuesdays, and Surrender on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays at the Wynn Hotel.
 
For more DJ Mighty Mi: Myspace | Facebook | Crooklyn Clan
 
As a bonus:

DJ Mighty Mi - Let Me See Your Hands Up (Stereo Love Edit)
DJ Mighty Mi x Chris Moody x Edward Maya

No comments:

Post a Comment