Thursday, March 11, 2010

Dani Deahl Interview

A couple days ago, I was able to interview Dani Deahl. If you don't know who she is, please allow me to give you a little information about her. She is currently one of the best female dj's I've come across and resides in Chicago. Besides being a dj, she also writes for URB Magazine and BPM Magazine. She is also involved in the record label Calamity Jane. She is also a producer. Her music blog is also one of my favorites. She has a great taste for music and posts songs true to her playlists. There are many dj's I want to see across the country, and she is definitely one of them. Check out this interview with Dani Deahl!


Sparty Tunes: What advice do you have for young and aspiring dj's?

Dani Deahl: I always tell people that I was so thankful I took music theory in college. Learning the basics of music, how to write my own music using traditional notation and how to sight-sing absolutely had an impact with how I approached DJing and electronic music. It makes you more aware of tone, what songs naturally go together, how to mentally take note of intro and outro bars in tracks, etc. Also, go out to as many shows as possible. Don't be afraid to copy - if you hear a mix that sounds great, try to replicate it. Practice. Be your own biggest fan and don't be afraid to self-promote.

Sparty Tunes: Being a female dj, do you think it is any tougher?

Dani Deahl: Not at all. I can't really remember a single instance where I was openly discriminated against because I was a female DJ. On the contrary, a lot of people like to book all female DJ nights and having a good image as a female DJ can definitely work in your favor. It doesn't mean that you don't have to have the talent and follow through, but I think that being a female actually has advantages, not disadvantages. I know I play well, so if I get booked because it's a female DJ night, it doesn't bother me.

Sparty Tunes: What's your favorite part of dj'ing?

Dani Deahl: I always tell people I'm not playing for me, I'm playing for the people that have come out. The best part of playing is when you hit a stride where you can tell that the people there are on the same wavelength you are. When you see your crowd jamming out just as hard to a track you love, it just feels good. It's that inexplicable vibe that just happens.

Sparty Tunes: Now besides dj'ing, you also write for URB Magazine and BPM Magazine. Who has been your favorite dj/artist/group or producer that you've interviewed?

Dani Deahl: I've had my share of interviews that were interesting for various reasons...Perry Farrell's philosophic rants, Paul Van Dyk's rant on free music, etc., but my favorite by far was Tittsworth. At the time I interviewed him for URB we barely knew each other and even so, we talked like old buddies about everything from his worst gigs to his penchant for eating weird food. Now we're great friends and we're planning on getting together in D.C. in a couple months to do a Jersey Shore themed-photo shoot together.

Sparty Tunes: Is there a favorite club of yours to spin at?

Dani Deahl: Locally, I have to say Smartbar. The system is amazing, the talent is always consistent, the layout promotes dancing and the staff are so knowledgeable about the music and genuinely care about the artists. It's one of the few places where DJs consistently have the freedom to do exactly as they please.

Sparty Tunes: Your "Poppin Bottles" song & video have been quite the hit, when can we expect another song/video?

Dani Deahl: I actually have two other completed songs, but my partner Scott Richmond has a very large, special project in the works which is directly tied in with our label, Calamity Jane. This is also why you haven't seen any releases from us in a bit. Believe me, I want the tracks out now and I've briefly been in touch with Brian Klemesrud, the director for "Poppin' Bottles", about another project. I hate to be so secretive!

Sparty Tunes: Who is your favorite dj?

Dani Deahl: Man that's so tough. I actually don't get to go out a lot to events as I am working every Thursday through Saturday and a lot of off nights (like in the past week I also did Monday and Wednesday). Mauro Picotto blew my mind when I saw him at Crobar and Laidback Luke was amazing when I saw him at Spybar... Damian Lazarus is always amazing every time I see him.
 
For more Dani Deahl: Website | D-Squared Blog | Facebook | Myspace | Twitter
 
And if you want to see her:
 
Vertigo Sky Lounge, Chicago: 3/13/10
Tonic Room, Chicago: 3/16/10
Viceroy Hotel, Miami: 3/25/10
Scoop @ Tini Martini, Chicago: 3/27/10
Moct, Milwaukee: 4/3/10
Rehab @ Debonair, Chicago: 4/5/10
MISSchievous Monday @ Social 25, Chicago: 4/12/10
Palladium, Denver: 4/17/10
Plan B, Madison: 4/24/10
 
And as a bonus, her hit single:
 
Dani Deahl - Poppin Bottles Ft. Whiskey Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment